Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cleaning up my online life

It began yesterday with facebook, and has filled up much of today with gmail.

Shredding-facebook-and-gmailI’ve made up my mind how I will use facebook. Initially I was going to deactivate the account, but my older sister requested I keep it so that she could tag photos with me. A silly reason perhaps, but it got me to consider alternatives to complete deactivation. Essentially, I have reduced my set of facebook “friends” to only those people I am or have been very close to. In reducing that set I’ve gotten past the idea of offending people by de-friending. Which isn’t to say I don’t care, I do, but for me personally the point of facebook is not to be magically connected to hundreds of people I rarely or ever think about (not even considering how much or little they think of me). Instead, my new purpose for facebook is to please my older sister. We’ll see how it goes. I may still eventually decide to deactivate the account.

My gmail inbox has turned into a horrifying, unwieldy, beast of a box. The sheer volume, my inability to make it clean, has resulted in me checking it sporadically—perhaps once a month on average. It had 3200 unread messages, all important I’m sure, now it has 1. I left the one unread to remind me to follow up on it Monday. Cleaning out that inbox took about 3 hours. An hour per thousand messages it would seem. Having used all that time I hope to keep it clean, and establish a regular schedule for effective use, perhaps once a week. I’ve unsubscribed from every single email newsletter possible, and am prepared to junk any newsletter I could not unsubscribe from.

No comments: