Saturday, June 26, 2010

World Changers interview

Tell us a little about the impact of world changers project on the community and participants.

World Changers emphasizes sharing Christ’s love, and provided plenty of opportunities. I did not know most of the people who were going, including the 3 passengers in my van. Fortunately we had a road trip and what better way to get to know someone than on a road trip. There are so many ways to share Jesus’ love. In most cases there is nothing glamorous or complex about doing so. In fact, the most effective means I know of for sharing His love look exactly like sitting down and talking.

Of course, the main thing that World Changers does is fix houses. I was aware of three major types of projects: siding, roofing, and flooring. My project group was responsible for residing a very old house. Although the house’s great need of repair was obvious, the owner, Mr. Smith, simply did not have the financial or physical resources required to reside his house. Looking back now I see that meeting someone’s need in this way aligns perfectly with the Gospel message. Christ met a need we could never meet on the cross.

World Changers emphasized sharing Jesus’ love from the individual level on up to the community level and beyond. I had an opportunity to tell a University of Missouri media student what we were doing and why we were doing it. She came out to Moberly specifically to interview volunteers on camera for a class she is taking. World Changers anticipates and invites opportunities like this, and provides guidance to anyone being interviewed. By preparing me ahead of time I was able to rightly recall that we came all this way to share Jesus’ love through service. I believe a college classroom of media students will now get to see and hear the simple message that “Jesus loves”.

Tell us about one way God has used the trip while being back home.

Having been gone from work for a week, co-workers would regularly point out they hadn’t seen me for a while, or ask where I have been. World Changers emphasis on the why we were there, and not just what we were doing flowed into every encounter like this. I had multiple opportunities this last week to tell co-workers that I was with 150 others sharing the love of Christ through fixing up houses. It was a very easy thing to say, and now I’m anxious for more opportunities to share how Christ loves. Now none of the times I shared with a co-worker led to a deep, spiritual conversation, but it did say more to many than I had said before. It said “I believe Jesus is real”, “I believe Jesus loves people through me”, and “I am someone who is willing and ready to talk about Jesus”. Where is goes from there I leave in God’s hands, but I do pray for more opportunities.

Learn more:

No comments: